Our 4-post square shade structures, also known as Hip Roof playground shades, effectively create shaded areas on your playground. These shades also add a modern and sleek design to your playground. This design provides maximum strength for the canopy-support structure and the canopy.
The Benefits of Hip Roof Square Shades
- Shades are engineered to withstand high speed winds. During times of severe weather, the shade canopy can be taken down with the patented quick release ‘glide elbow’.
- Shades are designed to withstand winds up to 76 mph and 90 mph for gusts of up to 3 seconds in duration.
- The structural steel frames of these playground shades can sustain winds up to 90 mph with the canopies removed.
- Shade fabrics block up to 97% of harmful UV rays and provide hail protection.
- Fabric breathes, which allows hot air to rise and escape, ultimately creating a cooler environment.
- The patented quick release ‘glide elbow’ is available. The glide elbow is highly recommended for the installation of hip roof shades.
The vertical posts at the corner of each shade support the sturdy overhead structure to which the canopy attaches. The exterior posts are secured in the ground with concrete, which allows them to support even the largest canopies that cover an entire play area. (For larger shade structures, more than 4 posts may be needed. Inquire about custom orders for 6 or 8-post shade structures.)
The fabric canopy can easily be removed on each shade structure using a ‘glide elbow’, a patented quick-release system. The patented quick-release system allow you to easily remove the canopy during severe weather or simply when you want to change designs.
Sizes: We offer many sizes and heights of ‘hip roof’ square and rectangle shades. Canopy sizes start at 10′ x 10′ and are available in 2-foot increments (10′ x 12′, 12′ x 12′, 12′ x 14′, 14′ x 14′, and so on), up to any size you need. Custom sizes are also available.
Heights available: Shade heights are listed as ENTRY heights, which is the height of the edge of the shade above ground level. Our square shade structure heights are 8 feet and 10 feet. (which is about 3 to 5 feet higher in the middle of the canopy depending on the size). However, we also offer custom heights of 12 feet, 14 feet and even higher. What height is right for you? For covering an area with no playground equipment, 8′ height is adequate. For covering playground equipment, you’ll probably need a higher canopy of 10′ or more. To meet playground inspection requirements, you need 84″ of clearance above the highest designated play surface of the play structure (the highest point that children are supposed to be standing on; in most cases, this is the highest platform).
For more information, visit our page on Hip Roof Shade Structures.